Thursday, January 31, 2008

Adventures in . . . Vegan Graham Cracker Cupcakes


It's another recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World! Although I think it might be one of my last. While these recipes are reliable and easy, I'm just not crazy about the texture and consistency of the vegan cake. The vegan buttercream frosting, though, that was something. Yet, even the frosting is problematic, because it's made with vegan shortening that just sort of weirds me out. I think I'm going to leave the vegan confections to Sam, the vegan-cookie guy.

So on to this Graham Cracker Cupcake. They were a bit disappointing. They were pretty oily, and, like the other vegan cupcakes, lacked structural integrity. The cake itself is made with graham cracker crumbs, but in the end, it didn't really taste like graham cracker; it tasted more like molasses (there are molasses in it). Plus, these were supposed to be S'mores cupcakes, but the chocolate bar I bought to shave on top had milk fat in it. Plus it turns out that honey (as in, Honey Maid Graham Crackers) isn't vegan! I guess theoretically I could have figured that out (It comes from bees; bees are animals), but for some reason I didn't until Sam, the aforementioned vegan-cookie guy, told me. So I guess you have to find special vegan graham crackers and special milkfat-less chocolate. See what I mean? I'm done with the vegan cupcakes.

Here's the recipe:

S'mores Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World
Makes 12 regular + 8 mini-minis

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin.

Make graham cracker crumbs by putting about 6 whole graham crackers into the food processor. Measure out 1/2 C.

Mix in a large bowl:
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C canola oil
2 T molasses
1/4 C soy yogurt
1 1/4 C soy milk
1 t vanilla extract

Sift in a separate bowl:
1 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t salt
Add 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs, and mix it up.

Add dry ingredients to the wet in three batches, mixing well after each addition.
Fill cupcake liners almost full. Bake for 22-25 min (I baked for 22 probably).

Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting (totally the best part, although not really s'more-like)

Beat until well combined and fluffy:
½ C nonhydrogenated shortening
½ C nonhydrogenated margarine

Add 3 ½ C confectioners' sugar, sifted if clumpy, and beat for about 3 more minutes.

Add 1 ½ t vanilla and ¼ C plain soy milk and beat for another 5-7 minutes until fluffy.

1 comment:

Perri said...

yea, good effort at a cool idea but they do look kinda gross!