Sunday, February 3, 2008

Second Adventure in Sweet Mandy B's Cupcakes


I decided that although my first batch of Sweet Mandy B's Chocolate-Chocolate Cupcakes were delicious, there was definitely room for improvement.

So I made a few small changes to the recipe:
(1) I upped the amount of baking powder and baking soda, just by 1/4 teaspoon each, to see whether I could get them to rise with a bit more confidence
(2) I raised the oven temp to 350, since the oven I'm using is from the 1950's anyway, so I figured it wouldn't hurt
(3) I baked them for only 22-24 minutes (22 for one pan, 2 minutes longer for the other)
(4) I made sure really to fill the tins only 1/2 full. This way I ended up with 24 regular size cupcakes + 24 mini-minis
(5) I realized that the first time I'd made the frosting, I'd used about 1/2 the amount of confectioners' sugar that the recipe had called for, so I pretty much stuck with this mistake, since I thought the frosting came out so great
and (6) I doubled the amount of frosting, because the other night I didn't have enough to pipe. This made about 30% too much frosting, so I will have to tinker with that in the revised recipe below.

So, the results: they didn't dome, but they didn't sink this time, so I considered this a triumph. Plus since I exercised some control with the scooping, they didn't look like muffins. All in all, it was a big success. I can't wait to make these again.



Here's the revised recipe:

REVISED Sweet Mandy B's Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Makes 24 regular-size + 24 mini-mini cupcakes

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins.

Sift into big bowl:
1 ½ C flour
1 C unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ t b.s.
1 1/2 t b.p.
1 t salt
2 C sugar

Turn mixer on low and add, in order:
¾ C hot water
¾ C milk
2 eggs
½ C vegetable oil
1 ½ t vanilla extract

Scrape down sides of bowl and beat on medium, briefly, to achieve a smooth batter.

Scoop into muffin tins. Fill tins about ½ full. Bake for 22-24 min.

Chocolate Frosting
Cream:
3 sticks butter

Beat in:
4 1/2 T dark corn syrup
1.5 t vanilla
generous pinch salt

With machine off, sift in 1 C unsweetened cocoa. Carefully turn the mixer on low and avoid inhaling. Then turn off and sift in 1 lb (about 4 1/2 C) confectioners' sugar, in three parts. Last, add 3/4 C whipping cream, and beat until fluffy.

No comments: