Sunday, February 10, 2008

Adventures in . . . Red Velvet Cupcakes


It was only three years ago that I had never heard of Red Velvet. And I have to admit, the first few times I tried it, I didn't understand it. But I have a new crush on Cream Cheese Frosting, and Valentine's Day is just around the corner, so I figured it would be just be wrong not to make Red Velvet Cupcakes.

I found this recipe on the Food Network Website, courtesy of Paula Deen. I adore her, but very few things she cooks ever appeal to me, so I was psyched to get to try one of her recipes. It turned out terrific, although Andrew said the frosting was "tangy." Not sure what that means.


Paula Deen's Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


Preheat oven to 350. Line tins. Remove 1 C buttermilk, 2 eggs, 2 things cream cheese, and 2 sticks butter from fridge.

In medium mixing bowl, sift together:
2 ½ C flour
1 ½ C sugar
1 t b.s.
1 t salt
1 t cocoa powder

In a large bowl, gently beat together:
1 ½ C vegetable oil
1 C buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 T red food coloring
1 t white distilled vinegar
1 t vanilla extract

Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.

Divide into tins about 2/3 full. Bake 20-22 min. (I baked 24-25 min., but again, my oven is a relic from like the industrial revolution.)



Cream Cheese Frosting

In large mixing bowl, beat until smooth:
1 lb cream cheese
2 sticks butter
1 t vanilla

Add 4 C sifted confectioners' sugar on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase speed to high, and mix until very light and fluffy.

NOTE: The second time I made this recipe, I used the Cream Cheese Frosting from Ina Garten's Coconut Cupcakes (recipe on this blog), sans almond extract. I think it's better--it has less cream cheese, so it's a bit more subtle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These were sold out by 2, when I went up there. Congrats! (the bleeding heart one that I got was delicious, though)

Andrew said...

Do you quote me a lot on this thing? Usually I just look at the pictures, but if my reputation is at stake I may have to pay more attention and be ready to defend myself.

You know exactly what "tangy" means--as you said when you were making them, the frosting could maybe use a tiny little bit more sugar.

Anyway, these cupcakes were delicious. Judging from the report from the Motley, I guess I should thank you again for saving an extra one for me.